Welcome! Bienvenido! Ongietorri! bem vinda!
Thank you for your interest in the Nevada Silver State Stars.
The Nevada Department of Education, through the Office of Early Learning and Development has implemented the Nevada Silver State Stars, the state's Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS).
A Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) is a method to assess, improve and communicate the level of quality in early childhood programs. Programs are assigned a rating, from 1 to 5 stars, to assist parents in finding a quality care and education provider for their child.
Programs may be participating voluntarily, and/ or are mandated to participate. Participating providers begin in our Step to Stars program, where they gather paperwork and learn more about the QRIS program and requirements. Programs can remain in the Steps to Stars for up to six months. At that time, they will be observed and assessed by trained and experienced assessors utilizing a tool specific to the type of child care provided. After a program has been assessed, they are rated with a star from 1 to 5. During the following two years, programs work closely with a QRIS Coach to draft and implement a plan to help them maintain and improve the quality of care provided to young children.
Participating in the QRIS, regardless of star rating, reflects a program’s commitment to quality. A program with a star rating shows their parents and potential parents that they are exceeding standards and are committed to excellence.
Programs that are interested in being star-rated should contact the Office of Early Learning and Development.
All programs must begin with an Introduction to Nevada’s Silver State Stars QRIS training.
This training is a requirement for Child Care Centers and Family Child Care
(FCC) providers interested in participating in Nevada’s Silver State Stars QRIS. This training is opened only to center directors, administrators, and FCC Owners / Operators. Participants attending this training will learn how to utilize the QRIS and supportive services to improve the quality of their program, program requirements, coaching services, program-improvement grant, and the process to become rated.
Programs interested in participating in the QRIS will be placed on a wait list at this time. For more information, please contact QRIS staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of becoming a QRIS program:
- Provides programs with a roadmap, access to support, and resources to insure program improvement
- Recognizes programs for their strengths while helping them make changes as needed.
- Provides financial incentives to programs utilizing the Nevada’s child care subsidy programs
- Enables programs to utilize quality initiatives, such as: T.E.A.C.H Early Childhood Nevada, a child care substitute program (only available in some locations), and an annual scholarship program for the NevAEYC Conference.
- Programs in QRIS have access to FREE Nevada Registry approved trainings. Trainings include: QRIS Introductions, Nevada Pre-K Standards (“in-house”), TNTP Leadership Series, TNTP Math Series, TNTP Social Emotional Learning Series, Introduction to BRIGANCE and Train-the-Trainer opportunities, Zero to Three Critical Competencies for Infant -Toddler Educators, and more!
- Supportive services for the children in your care, such as the NEIS Partnership Program.
- Coaching and one-on-one individualized support from an assigned QRIS Coach from The Children’s Cabinet!
- Grants every two years to purchase materials for your school / FCC home. (Certain limitations apply).